First, forgive me for the bad pun. Second, I thought we could start a list of sorts where we can all share different readings - books, journal articles, newspaper articles, images, etc. - that relate to an anthropology of death.

(We can also use the attach file function to share documents more thoroughly)

Views: 756

Replies to This Discussion

Cultural Changes in Attitudes Toward Death, Dying, and Bereavement (Springer Series on Death and Suicide)

by:  Cynthia A. Peveto

Product Description: 

By comparing the findings from Kalish's and Reynolds's landmark 1970's Death and Ethnicity Study to their own present study, Hayslip and Peveto examine the impact of cultural change on death attitudes.

With a focus on African-American, Asian-American, and Hispanic-American subpopulations, with Caucasians treated as a comparison group, the authors come to several conclusions, including:

• the shift toward more interest in being informed of one's own terminal prognosis
  • a more personal approach to funerals and mourning observances
  • a greater focus on family and relationships

DOWNLOAD PDF

Death and Bereavement Across Cultures

by:  Colin Parkes

Product Description: 

Death raises questions that science cannot answer. Whatever our personal beliefs, we can all gain from learning how others view these ultimate problems. This book explores the richness of mourning traditions around the world with the aim of increasing the sensitivity and understanding which we all bring to the issue of death.

Written by international authorities in the field, this book describes the rituals and beliefs of major world religions, explains their psychological and historical context, shows how customs are changed by contact with the West and considers implications for the future. It is an indispensable guide for all who work with the dying and bereaved.

DOWNLOAD PDF

The two books I'm reading and that are quite good are:

RSS

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service