"In my academic work I am looking to embrace a more creative side that is not so clearly charted out. I want to share thoughts and have no interest in confusing readers or obfuscating – but I do want to give readers of my academic work a choice of outcomes rather than insisting that they follow my logic. I have just started to play around with this following some of the writing experiments of Walter Benjamin in particular. I increasingly have very little time for the kind of writing that is referred to as ‘social science’. It seems to revel in destroying our delight in the world..."

Tim Cresswell in an Interview with Heidi JamesPublished:July 1, 2013.

Tim Cresswell, Soil, June 17, 2013.

• Paperback: 80 pages
  • Publisher: Penned in the Margins.
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1908058153
  • ISBN-13: 978-1908058157

"Geography and language collide in Soil, the debut collection of poetry by Tim Cresswell. His poems delight in the strange and are often situated at the cusp of the natural and urban worlds. A fox climbs to the top of a London skyscraper; municipal trees are displaced from their mountain habitats; sandworts take root in abandoned mine shafts; and geological time is glimpsed through the 'crushed structures' of the city. Cresswell is interested in hinterlands, the in-between places: airport lounges, urban parks, the muddy verge of a river. The title sequence is a startling examination of man's relationship with the very stuff of earth, redeploying the language of science and archaeology with surgical precision and an innovative flair. Already an acclaimed academic and human geographer, this book introduces Tim Cresswell as a significant new poet of place, and our changing relationship to it. Soil is a striking debut - rich, multi-layered, full of organic life and the compacted detritus of the city."

Views: 74

Translate

OAC Press

@OpenAnthCoop

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Hart.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service