Join the OAC
- SYMPOSIUM: THINKING MEMORY THROUGH SPACE (GOLDSMITHS, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON)
- Wool recycling : to make blankets to help people who lost everything in La Plata, Baires with a flood
- Emergency and Recicling: Now La Plata and Buenos Aires. Text in spanish and english
- Call for Papers - "O Oriente, a Sul do Ocidente. Etnografias do Sul sobre contextos árabes e islâmicos"
- Call for Papers "O Oriente, a Sul do Ocidente. Etnografias do Sul sobre contextos árabes e islâmicos"
- After the disaster (but before Krugman endorsed Klein's shock doctrine)
- Natural Language and the Social Sciences
- Marx's "XI"th Thesis on Feuerbach is Not Explicit Enough.
- What is anthropology? A film.
- Globalisation are becoming increasingly international,
- 'ultra-conserved' words.
- An anthropologist in all but name?
- The idea of the informal economy: a further work in progress report
- Social Tourism and Gentrification in Seville (spanish)
Category Specific RSS
Category Archives: This Week in the OAC
Gentrificación en Sevilla: Un regalo sin estrenar por la población actual del barrio. On Chagnon: Finding the honest balance. MUST SEE FILM: What is anthropology? More scholarly research on the informal economy. Local banknotes in times of crisis.
NEW ONLINE SEMINAR NOW OPEN FOR COMMENTS AND DEBATE: Dennis Webster addresses how a group of men, who are essentially invisible to the state, live in a public park in Genzina, Pretoria, negotiating the ambiguities of street life and community … Continue reading
Talking mathematics: An engineer’s interest. Consume, or die… no, recycle! OAC turns a __ into a __. Not your average academic fare: OAC offers the alternative. Alison Redmayne, Mung’anzagala Semugongolwa. AND, with over 370 pages hits - Is anthropology a science?
AnthroDef: Anthropology wiki. Don’t spend too long in anthropology… You might become critical and severe. Facing inside surfaces: Perceptions of privacy, space and place in suburban Kenya. OAC artspace.
SAHLINS RESIGNATION SCOOP Via Keith Hart, Thomas Strong and David Graeber: Marshall Sahlins submits resignation to National Academy of Science objecting to election of Napoleon Chagnon. The debate continues from the millenium until now (see Inside Higher Ed). More ethics … Continue reading
7000 MEMBERS!!!!!! Elina Artamonova becomes our lucky 7000th member. Graeber and Latour: A crossover in the world of Debt 2.0. Manifesto for a Human Economy: Productive contradiction?
BOOK REVIEW: I know you all knew we do a book review series. Here’s the latest. Kant stop talking about him: Bosnian landscapes: Death and the different people involved in the process of death. If you only look at one … Continue reading
Flood of activity greets New Year: Brain scanning, Nobel laureate endorsements, Poptastic, Xenophobia, Borderlands (sorry I missed this), and why did Manti Te’O drown out the tragic suicide of Aaron Swartz?
Is there anybody out there? Holiday period pushes OAC participation to a record low. Fabric and ritual: Through Geertz and a handkerchief. Against identity politics: Writing with anger, irony and humor about bureaucratic torture.